Category – Personal growth
Reading time – 5 minutes
We all need to work. Not only to earn money but also to keep us purposefully engaged and have satisfaction of contributing to the society.
But great work needs focus. It is not produced by anxious multitaskers with fleeting attention. Great work needs solitude and extreme focus with prolonged slots of distraction free time.
This is called deep work.
Greats like Carl Jung, Woodey Allen, JK Rowling all went into solitude to work on their main projects.
Bill Gates takes thinking break once a year to envision future projects.
Adam Grant who is bestselling author of the book, Originals goes into self isolation shutting himself away from social media.
As world becomes overburdened with data and job profiles change; old skills are rapidly outdated. You have to be a lifelong learner to stay in the race of everchanging industries.
Due to advent of online work culture you have almost whole world competing for same online works. Hence level of expertise needs to be worldclass.
On the contrary to the availibilty of attention destroying social media apps and emails; it is increasingly difficult to have a deep focus on any task. But busyness is not equal to productivity.
Shallow work is easy but is useless. Deep work is difficult.
What you can do!
1. Isolation from distractions. Focus on goals.
2. Try to do meaningful moderately difficult work that puts you in state of flow.
3. Work hard for a fair amount of time and then reward yourself with a treat like walk in woods or music.
4. Choose location that inspires and provides you your peaceful workplace. Go to hotel like Rowling or to an island like Alan Lightly. Avoid open office.
5. Go to the areas where exchance of ideas can happen like clubs. In MIT there is famous building 20, where scientists go to have coffee and multiple specialities interact with each other.
6. Focus on important things.
7. Act and measure progress.
8. Set accountability on failing to act.
9. Take break from your main work and indulge in different and attractive work for sometime.
Think about your task while walking.
10. Give time for self projects. Get enough leisure time to restore energy.
Stay away from social media during most of the worktime. Do not waste too much time on emails.
Inspiration – Deep Work by Cal Newporthttps://www.amazon.in/dp/0349413681